French Muslim group sues Facebook over Christchurch video | Filming in Christchurch
The French Council for Muslim Worship (CFCM) has said it is suing Facebook and YouTube for allowing the public release of a live video of the man who carried out the massacre at a mosque in New Zealand this month. this.
The council indicated that it was prosecuting the French branches of the two companies for “disseminating a message with violent content encouraging terrorism, or of a nature likely to seriously undermine human dignity and likely to be seen by a minor” , according to the complaint.
In France, such acts can be punished by three years’ imprisonment and a fine of â¬ 75,000 (Â£ 64,000).
Facebook said it quickly deleted live video of the attack on two mosques by a white supremacist in Christchurch on March 15, in which 50 people were killed.
But the livestream recordings were shared widely on YouTube and Twitter, and internet platforms had to scramble to remove the reposted videos.
The CFCM, which represents millions of Muslims in France, said it took Facebook up to 29 minutes after the show started to pull it down.
Major internet platforms had pledged to crack down on sharing violent images and other inappropriate content through automated systems and human oversight, but critics say it’s not working.
The platforms have cooperated to develop technology that filters child pornography, but have failed to join forces on violent content.
A US congressional panel last week called on senior executives at Facebook, YouTube, Microsoft and Twitter to explain the proliferation of New Zealand “horrific” video online. The home committee on homeland security said it was “extremely important” to filter out the type of violent images seen in the video.